In 2015, the shareholders, managing directors and staff of PARSCH can proudly look back on 250 years of PARSCH.
Master linen weaver Franz August Parsch founded the company Franz A. Parsch in 1765 in Graupen, a small mountain town in the Erzgebirge in Sudetenland. Back then, they manufactured water buckets from raw linen that were used as fire extinguisher buckets (the forerunner of the fire hose).
Both the son of the founder, Franz Xaverius Parsch, and his grandson, Franz August Parsch, made essential contributions to the company’s success story
- Around 1801, they started manufacturing hoses made of hemp with a wooden weaving loom (flat-weave technique). In recognition of a sixty-cubit-long, hand-woven fire hose, the company received a certificate from the castle administration of Prince Thun-Hohenstein.
- In 1851, the grandson of the founder exhibited the fire hoses at the first world exhibition in London in Hyde Park. PARSCH, managed by the founder’s grandson Franz August Parsch, received an accolade for manufacturing these fire hoses – international recognition in the form of a diploma from Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, the Prince Consort at the time.
The progress continued during the following generations.
- In 1898, the son of Franz August Parsch, Franz Xaverius Parsch (father of the retired partners Franz and Paul Parsch), imported the mechanical low-warp loom from Hull, England. Franz Xaverius Parsch was awarded a gold medal and a diploma for these hoses, which were showcased at the world exhibition in Vienna.
- Also around this time, PARSCH began to produce flat-weave casing linen hoses.
After having been driven out of Sudetenland, Franz and Paul settled in Ibbenbüren and initially worked in mining. In March 1946, they tried to reconstruct the company in Ibbenbüren. This first attempt, however, failed because they were not able to procure the necessary looms, which were manufactured in Saxony.
It was not until the 1950 currency reform that the company resumed operations, managed by the brothers Franz and Paul Parsch under the former company name (Franz A. Parsch Schlauchweberei GmbH). Only three years after having been re-established in Ibbenbüren (Laggenbecker Straße 85), PARSCH was the first company in the Federal Republic of Germany to implement circular weaving technique to produce untreated, non-rubber-lined hoses. PARSCH obtained the circular loom from an American company in New Jersey.
Thanks to tremendous motivation, a constant focus on making progress and many new experiments, the products were improved, thus bringing PARSCH to the top and turning it into a global brand. For example, in 1969, Coverflex outer coating was introduced.
The sons of brothers Franz and Paul Parsch joined the company in 1971. Shortly afterwards, Peter and Wolfgang Parsch took over management of the company.
From 1977 onwards, they developed the continuous weaving line, enabling them to manufacture lengths of up to 2,000 metres depending on the diameter. In 1982, PARSCH had the continuous line production patented.
The plant was relocated from Laggenbecker Straße to Gildestraße 16 – its current location – in 1985. Today, the premises cover an area of approx. 32,000 m² with 7,000 m² occupied by buildings.
Wolfgang Parsch managed the company until June 1987. After Peter Parsch stepped down in 1996, the family-owned company was taken over and managed by the Runde, Ackermann and Mersch families. After Mr Runde left the management in 2004, PARSCH was managed by Mr Mersch und Mr Ackermann, both managing partners. When Mr Ackermann retired in November 2010, his daughter Anke Ackermann joined the company. Ms Ackermann and Mr Mersch have jointly managed the company since the beginning of 2013.
In addition to the PARSCH production facility and headquarters in Germany, several subsidiaries have been founded over the years. From 1958 to 1982, PARSCH owned subsidiaries in Brazil (Parsch do Brasil – Indústria e Comércio de Mangueiras Ltda.) and Mexico (Parsch de México S.A. – Fabricantes de Mangueras contra Incendio).
The PARSCH Group currently owns three subsidiaries:
Two distribution companies that sell the products manufactured by PARSCH in France (since 2004 MR Tuyaux SARL, Eckbolsheim) and in England (since 1991 Richards Hose Limited, Preston).
The other subsidiary, KA-Belüftungstechnik GmbH & Co. KG, is based in Ibbenbüren since 2012.
With a total of about 60 employees, PARSCH Group sells its products worldwide, for example, to fire brigades in Asia. It manufactures approx. 2 million metres of hose annually, which have a wide variety of applications in industry, mining, vehicle construction and farming.
The PARSCH range includes more than 3,000 different hose products. For example, different yarn types (polyester, nylon) are used and hoses are produced in different colours (white, red, yellow, blue, grey…) and different types of textile weave. The range also encompasses anti-static, conductive hoses and ventilation tubes, which can be installed in silo trucks.
The coating, fabric construction and inner rubber lining are constantly being developed and adapted to meet growing demands.
Thanks to the company’s technological advance, PARSCH manufactures 2 million metres of hose annually with some 50 employees. By comparison, the company produced “only” 1 million metres of hose with approx. 150 employees around 1980.
The name PARSCH has always stood for quality and good delivery times. In addition, the company’s drive for progress has been an essential factor. On top of its philosophy – “always a step ahead with PARSCH!” – the company provides excellent service.
The shareholders, managing directors and staff are very proud of PARSCH’s long and successful history and look forward to celebrating our 250th anniversary together with you in 2015. We would like to thank our clients, in particular, for placing their trust in us over so many years. We like to maintain the tradition of exhibiting our products at regular intervals and attach great importance to fostering personal contact with our customers and business partners. We will therefore have a stand at the Interschutz exhibition in Hannover again in 2015.